Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sudbury, Ontario


My family has actually been to Sudbury, Ontario (McLennan's hometown) a couple times. As soon as I read Sudbury in the Foreword, even before I read the fact about it being the nickel capital, I remembered this fact (probably aided by the memory of the nickel in the picture above). The interesting part of this to me though is that I was there when I was 6 or 7 years old and then again around 9. And as early as that may be, I have a vivid memory of the barrenness of the landscape. I talked to my brother (2 years younger than me) and he remembered the same, as well as the massively tall smokestacks. It amazes me that at such a young age we are still that aware of our surroundings. I also believe that even then, I knew that something wasn't right about the area, it just wasn't normal. It makes you wonder how if as children we can so easily tell right from wrong, how we get led so far astray as we grow older and supposedly more aware of our surroundings.

No comments: